Economic activity was determined by quinquennal plans divided into monthly segments, with government planners often trying to achieve the plan`s objectives, regardless of whether or not there was a market for the products produced.  There was little coordination between services, so cars could be produced before the construction of gas stations or roads, or a new hospital in Warsaw in the 1980s could remain empty for four years to wait for the production of equipment to fill it.  However, if such policy objectives had been achieved, propagandists could boast increased vehicle production and the completion of another new hospital.  While official statistics paint a relatively optimistic picture, the East German economy has eroded due to increasing central planning, economic self-sufficiency, the use of coal by oil, the concentration of investment in certain technology-intensive sectors and labour market regulation.  As a result, there was a significant productivity gap between East and West Germany of almost 50% per worker.   However, this gap does not measure the quality of the design of goods or services, so the actual per capita rate can be between 14 and 20%.  Average gross monthly wages in East Germany were about 30% of those in West Germany, although the after-tax figures were 60%.  At the same time, at the end of the war, the Soviet Union adopted a « policy of plundering » the physical transport and relocation of industrial products from Eastern Europe to the Soviet Union.  Eastern Bloc countries were required to provide coal, industrial equipment, technology, vehicles and other resources for the reconstruction of the Soviet Union.  Between 1945 and 1953, under this policy, the Soviets received a net transfer of resources from the rest of the Eastern bloc of about $14 billion, an amount comparable to the net transfer of the United States to Western Europe in the Marshall Plan.   « Repairs » included the dismantling of the railways in Poland and Romanian repairs to the Soviets between 1944 and 1948 for $1.8 billion, at the same time as the reign of the SovRoms.
 The organization of the Warsaw Treaty was twofold: the Political Advisory Committee dealt with political issues and the Covenant`s Combined Armed Forces Command controlled the assigned multinational forces, based in Warsaw, Poland. The Commander-in-Chief of the United Armed Forces of the Warsaw Treaty Organization, who commanded and controlled all the armed forces of the member countries, was also a first deputy deputy defence minister of the USSR, and the head of the United Armed Forces of the Warsaw Treaty Organization was also a first deputy chief of staff of the Soviet forces.